Happy Friday, Ukiah Unified! Just one more week of school before Spring Break! No classes Monday, March 27 – Friday, March 31, 2023. Classes resume on Monday, April 3.
As the school year progresses (we only have 52 days left), it is essential for parents to continue to support their child's learning and help them finish the school year strong. The love and dedication that teachers and staff pour into our schools are truly admirable. They work incredibly hard to provide quality education to our children, but they can’t do it alone. Parent involvement in education is critical: parents, teachers, and school staff must work together to create a supportive environment that enables students to achieve their full academic potential.
Parents and families can engage with our schools and teachers in many ways to support their child's education. Here are three essential tips parents and guardians can follow to continue to be effective partners with teachers and school staff.
- Communicate regularly with teachers: Take the time to meet and get to know your child's teacher. It is imperative to stay connected with their teacher to build a relationship that fosters trust and understanding. Regularly discuss your student’s progress, concerns you may have, and how you can support your child's learning at home. This regular communication will help you stay informed about what is happening in the classroom and will help you provide valuable support at home.
- Make school attendance a priority: Make sure your child knows that attending school is a top priority. Attendance is one of the most critical factors in student success and one that parents can control. Encourage your child to attend school, as missing even one day can put them behind. We urge families to schedule vacations during school holidays, schedule medical and dental appointments after school, and schedule out-of-town shopping on the weekends. When students miss school, they miss out on valuable instruction and may fall behind in their learning. Below are the Mendocino County Public Health guidelines on when to keep children home from school when sick.
Keep your kids home from school when sick ONLY if they have any of the following symptoms:
- 100.4 fever or greater
- persistent coughing (not related to asthma or known allergies)
- pus on the face or generalized rash
- tested positive for COVID-19 within the last five days
- Attend open houses, parent-teacher conferences, and other school events: These celebrations of learning are an excellent opportunity for parents to meet with their child's teacher and discuss their progress, strengths, and areas for improvement. These events help parents stay informed about their child's education and what their school experience is like. All Ukiah Unified students and their families have free admission to Ukiah Unified performing arts shows and sporting events again this year. Thank you to Ukiah Unified trustees for allocating the funding to make this happen! Please come out to school events and support our outstanding students.
I know as a parent myself, as students get older, they often tell you it is not important for you to attend open houses, musical performances, or athletic events at their school. Attend anyway. Although they may not recognize and show appreciation for your presence now, they will remember you were there for years to come. If you have elementary-age students, take them to high school events, so they can see what is to come.
Let’s commit to finishing the year strong! As partners in their education, let’s work together to ensure that our children reach their full academic potential. I encourage you to consider volunteering at your child's school. Your involvement will make a tremendous difference, and we welcome your support. Please reach out to your child's school if you are interested in volunteering or have any questions.
Academic Help We’re here for you if your child needs help academically; tutoring and enrichment are available at each of our schools. Click here to view tutoring opportunities.
2023-24 Enrollment Now Open! Click here to get started.
Open House Schedule
Nokomis - Tuesday, March 21, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Oak Manor - Wednesday, March 22, 6:00 p.m.
Yokayo - Wednesday, April 12, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Ukiah High School - Wednesday, April 19, 6:00 p.m.
Grace Hudson - Thursday, May 4, 6:00 p.m.
Pomolita - Tuesday, May 9, 5:30 p.m.
Big Picture Ukiah - Wednesday, May 24, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
If you need assistance, please reach out to your child's school. I hope you have a great weekend, and thank you for all you do to support your child’s education.