I can’t believe it is already November! I’m reaching out today about our Ukiah Unified test scores that will soon be available on the California School Dashboard. The Dashboard reports how districts and schools are performing on multiple state and local indicators that make up California's accountability system. The results are used to identify strengths and weaknesses and help ensure that the needs of all students are met. I also want to remind you there will be no school this Friday, November 11, 2022, in observance of Veteran’s Day. Please join us in thanking all who have served or are currently serving our great country. We appreciate the sacrifices our veterans have made for our freedom!
California School Dashboard
The California Department of Education (CDE) will update the California School Dashboard (Dashboard) with Ukiah Unified’s most recent California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) test scores and data in December. I want to let you know where to access the Dashboard and what information you will find there. Due to requirements under Assembly Bill 130 (AB 130), the CDE can only display the most current year of data (also known as Status) on the 2022 Dashboard.
When CDE releases our test scores and student data next month, they will be lower than in years past. We anticipated this happening due to the time spent in distance learning. As we analyze the information, I am encouraged by action plans at each campus to accelerate learning and keep kids on track. We are committed to reinforcing our efforts and inspiring students to boost their learning.
Use these links to become familiar with the Dashboard and the information you will find there:
We celebrate our students when they are doing well and support them when they are not. Each school day, teachers provide targeted small-group instruction for students who need additional support in math and reading. Our English Language Learners receive daily designated language development time. The schools also have specialists who visit classrooms and assist students individually and in small groups in their particular areas of need.
Tutoring Available for Ukiah Unified Students
- Elementary and Middle School Tutoring After School Education & Safety Program (ASES) staff and The City of Ukiah Safari Program have partnered to offer free after-school enrichment and homework help at every elementary and middle school. Additionally, any parent or student can request enhanced after-school tutoring. These students are pulled from ASES or stay after school for targeted one-on-one or small-group tutoring with teachers. Contact your child’s teacher or school for more information.
- Ukiah High School Tutoring UHS teachers tutor in the library daily from 8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. Students can drop in anytime during these hours for help, and all subjects are covered. Call 707.472.5750 for more information.
- Ukiah Independent Study Academy (UISA) Tutoring opportunities happen daily; you can find a schedule on the UISA website.
- Free online homework help is available for students in grades 6 – 12 with Tutor.com. This service connects learners online with one of their over 3000 expert tutors, live, on-demand, 24/7. Students can receive tutoring in English and Spanish in over 200 academic subjects, homework help, writing assistance, and test preparation. Learn more about Tutor.com by watching this video. To access Tutor.com, make sure students are logged into Google or are using their school-issued Chromebook, then click on the Google apps icon in the upper right of the screen. Scroll down to Tutor.com and click the icon. Click here to learn how to log in and use Tutor.com.
How can parents and guardians help their children improve academically?
- Read with your children.
- Make sure your children attend school every day unless they are sick.
- Ask questions and get involved with your child’s education.
- Create a quiet space at home for studying and establish daily study times.
- Make sure your child’s homework gets done.
- Communicate regularly with your child’s teacher.
- Help your child prepare for tests.
- Log in to the Aeries Parent Portal regularly to check grades.
- Reach out to your child’s school if they need additional tutoring.
- Have a positive attitude about education and show an interest in school activities.
Don’t forget there will be no school on Friday, November 11, 2022, in observance of Veteran’s Day. I appreciate all you do to support your child’s education. If you need assistance, please reach out to your child’s school.